Lock in for the 2023 Women’s World Cup with our USWNT vs. Vietnam predictions rundown powered by America’s most lovable artificial intelligence chatbots.
Aaaaand we’re back! The FIFA Women’s World Cup is arguably the best sporting event in the world because (1) America likes being the best at stuff and (2) America is clearly the best at it. Right on cue, the USWNT kicks off its second consecutive title defense Friday, July 21, at the tournament’s 2023 edition at Eden Park in Auckland, New Zealand as the betting favorite to win an unprecedented third straight crown, as well as a record fifth overall.
You may be additionally surprised to hear, then, that the Stars and Stripes are prohibitively massive favorites in their opening match against Vietnam.
That got us thinking, however: Even if the winner of this particular match is basically a foregone conclusion, what about the narrative arc of the thing? What about the final score? Sure, we at Boardroom have our own thoughts about this, but we thought it might be fun to infuse some cold, hard artificial intelligence into the prognostication game by inviting two chatbots — Open AI’s ChatGPT and Google’s Bard — to join the fun.
We’re calling it Bots to Box.
Boardroom’s USA vs. Vietnam Prediction Party: 2023 Women’s World Cup
BOARDROOM PREDICTS THE USWNT’S OPENER:
Here’s exactly how this game is going to go:
- 5′: Trinity Rodman scores from outside the box
- 13′: Kelley O’Hara scores an olimpico straight off a corner kick
- 16′: Alex Morgan is awarded a penalty and converts
- 24′: Sophia Smith scores on a backheel finish from the edge of the six-yard box
- 34′: Alex Morgan scores her second
- 41′: Alyssa Naeher saves Vietnam’s sole shot on target
- 47′: Megan Rapinoe scores on a dolphin-dive header a la Robin Van Persie at the 2014 World Cup for the Netherlands
- 61′: Lynn Williams is awarded a penalty and Alex Morgan converts to complete the hat trick
- 78′: Alyssa Thompson scores the USWNT’s eighth and final goal on a scorpion kick while blindfolded
- FINAL SCORE: USWNT 8, Vietnam 0
CHATGPT’s USA VS. VIETNAM PREDICTION:
Title: “A Test of Resilience: United States vs. Vietnam”
Narrative Arc: In the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, the highly anticipated group-stage game between the United States and Vietnam promises to be a thrilling encounter. The reigning champions, the United States, enter the match as the clear favorites, boasting a formidable squad of experienced and talented players. On the other hand, Vietnam, making its mark on the international stage, is eager to prove its mettle and create an upset that will be remembered for generations to come.
First Half: The game kicks off with a high-intensity start, with the United States immediately dominating possession and applying relentless pressure on the Vietnamese defense. The Vietnamese, determined to resist, showcase disciplined defense and swift counter-attacking play to catch the Americans off-guard. However, the USA eventually breaks through the Vietnamese defense, with a well-timed cross finding its way to Alex Morgan, who calmly heads the ball into the net, giving the USA a 1-0 lead.
Vietnam refuses to back down and mounts a spirited counter-attack. In the closing minutes of the first half, they find an equalizer through a stunning long-range strike from Nguyen Thi Tuyet, surprising the American goalkeeper. The half-time score stands at 1-1, setting the stage for an exhilarating second half.
Second Half: The second half resumes with both teams displaying determination and passion. The United States intensifies their offensive efforts, using their speed and skill to create multiple goal-scoring opportunities. Yet, the Vietnamese defense holds strong, frustrating the American attackers and making it challenging to find the net.
Vietnam, sensing an opportunity, begins to increase their attacking presence as well, with Nguyen Thi Tuyet and Huynh Nhu forming a formidable partnership up front. Despite their efforts, the USA’s defense led by Becky Sauerbrunn remains composed, thwarting the Vietnamese attacks.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Becky Sauerbrunn is not participating in the 2023 World Cup due to a foot injury.
In the 75th minute, the United States breaks the deadlock with a perfectly executed corner kick. Julie Ertz rises above the defense, directing a powerful header into the goal, putting the USA in the lead with 2-1. Vietnam refuses to concede defeat and fights back with all their might, seeking another equalizer.
Final Minutes: As the match enters its final minutes, Vietnam presses on, desperately seeking the crucial goal. However, it leaves them vulnerable to counter-attacks, and in stoppage time, the United States capitalizes on a fast break. Carli Lloyd receives a perfectly weighted pass and expertly finishes, sealing the victory for the USA with a final score of 3-1.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Carli Lloyd retired from professional soccer in 2021.
Final Score: United States 3 – 1 Vietnam
The match exemplifies the spirit of the FIFA Women’s World Cup, showcasing both the prowess of the reigning champions and the determination of a rising nation in the world of women’s football. The players of both teams demonstrate the importance of teamwork, skill, and resilience, leaving fans in awe of the beautiful game they love.
BARD PREDICTS USWNT VS. VIETNAM:
- The game starts with the United States pressing high up the field, looking to take advantage of Vietnam’s lack of experience.
- The USWNT quickly takes control of the game, creating several chances in the first 15 minutes.
- However, Vietnam’s defense holds strong, and they manage to keep the score level at 0-0 at halftime.
- In the second half, the USWNT continues to dominate possession, but they struggle to break down Vietnam’s defense.
- Finally, in the 70th minute, Megan Rapinoe scores the opening goal for the USWNT.
- The USWNT then adds two more goals in the final 10 minutes to secure a 3-0 victory.
Final score: United States 3, Vietnam 0
Narrative arc: The game starts with the United States as the clear favorites, but Vietnam gives them a good fight. The USWNT eventually breaks through in the second half and wins comfortably.
Theme: The theme of the game could be the importance of experience. The United States has a lot of experience at the World Cup, while Vietnam is a relatively new team. This experience gave the USWNT the edge in the game, and they were able to win comfortably.
Other possible outcomes:
- The USWNT could have won by a larger margin, if they had been able to convert more of their chances.
- Vietnam could have scored a goal, if they had been able to take advantage of one of their chances.
- The game could have been a draw, if Vietnam had been able to defend more effectively.
Ultimately, the outcome of the game is up to the players. However, the narrative arc and theme that I have described are plausible possibilities.
2023 Women’s World Cup: USA vs. Vietnam Odds & Prop Bets
- United States: -20000
- Vietnam: +10000
- Draw: +7000
Over/under total goals
- OVER 3.5: -5000
- UNDER 3.5: +2000
- OVER 4.5: -1600
- UNDER 4.5: +860
- OVER 5.5: -600
- UNDER 5.5: +370
- OVER 6.5: -235
- UNDER 6.5: +178
FanDuel special props
- USA to win 6-0, 7-0 or 8-0: +150
- Sophia Smith to have a shot on target between 00:00-09:59: +220
- Vietnam to have 0 total shots: +140
- Sophia Smith to outscore Alex Morgan (loser if tied): +320
- Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe each to have 2 or more shots on target in each half: +650
- 16 or more shots on target, 12 or more corners & both teams to score: +2200
- Alex Morgan, Sophia Smith & Megan Rapinoe each to score 2 or more goals: +250
- Vietnam to have 0 shots on target: -250
- USA to win both halves, keep a clean sheet & take 10 or more corners: +100
- USA to have 2 or more shots on target between 00:00-09:59: +150
- Sophia Smith & Megan Rapinoe each to have 2 or more shots on target in first half: +200
- USA to score 3 or more goals in first half: -125
- Alex Morgan to have 2 or more shots on target in each half: +110
- Alex Morgan & Sophia Smith each to score 3 or more goals: +800
- Either Alex Morgan or Megan Rapinoe to score first and USA to win 7-0: +800
- Alex Morgan & Sophia Smith to have 10 or more shots on target between them: +150
- USA to have 7 or more 1st half shots on target: -135
- Alex Morgan to score first, USA to be winning at half time & win the match: +200
- Megan Rapinoe to have more shots on target than Alex Morgan (loser if tied): +160
- Alex Morgan, Sophia Smith & Megan Rapinoe each to assist a goal: +350
- Alex Morgan to score a goal assisted by Megan Rapinoe & Megan Rapinoe to score a goal assisted by Alex Morgan: +270
- USA to be winning 5-0 or 6-0 at half time: +900
- Sophia Smith to have 2 or more 1st half shots on target: -135
- Alex Morgan to have a shot on target between 00:00-09:59: +165
- Vietnam to have 1 or more corners: -200
The Portland Thorns and USWNT star sat down with Boardroom to reflect on a year filled with ups and downs, discuss the future of women’s sports, and much more. …
With NWSL free agents nearly ready to put ink to paper, Boardroom is here to help you track who is going where….