This story covers the USFL pay scale for the 2022 season. To see all the salary numbers for 2023, click here.
Boardroom breaks down what we know about USFL salaries for the 2022 season — for both active roster and practice squad players — as well as postseason bonuses.
This week, the upstart United States Football League made headlines — but not the kind you want. Reports emerged of a USFL player cut from his team due to… pizza?
Yes, former Michigan Wolverines and XFL running back De’Veon Smith took to social media to claim that he was released by the USFL’s Pittsburgh Maulers after noting a preference for pizza in response to a team meal featuring chicken salad. The Maulers countered in an official statement that Smith had “violated three team rules in a 24-hour span.”
According to what we know about USFL player salary figures for the 2022 season, that means Smith will miss out on no less than $45,000 in compensation, and perhaps much more.
So, what does the USFL 2022 salary structure actually look like? You have questions, Boardroom has answers.
USFL 2022 Salary and Contract Breakdown
For training camp and the regular season:
- Every player receives $600 per week while participating in training camp
- Active roster USFL players get $4,500 per week during the regular season
- Totals $45,000 for the full 10 weeks
- Practice squad USFL players get $1,500 per week during the regular season
- Totals $15,000 for the full 10 weeks
- Additionally, active roster players receive a bonus of $850 per win
For the postseason:
- Bonus of $850 per win continues to apply
- Each active player on the team that wins the USFL championship receives a one-time $10,000 bonus
All told, that means USFL players who play out the full 2022 season on an active roster can expect to make between $45,000 and $75,000 based on team performance.
By comparison, the league-minumum salary in the NFL for the 2022 season is just over $800,000.
2022 USFL Teams
- Head coach: Skip Holtz
- Head coach: Kevin Sumlin
New Orleans Breakers
- Head coach: Larry Fedora
Tampa Bay Bandits
- Head coach: Todd Haley
- Head coach: Jeff Fisher
New Jersey Generals
- Head coach: Mike Riley
- Head coach: Bart Andrus
- Head coach: Kirby Wilson