Breaking down the LA Clippers players headed for free agency this summer, as well as those with player and team options for 2022-23.
The Los Angeles Clippers won five straight games and six out of seven to close their regular season, guaranteeing a shot at postseason ball through the NBA Play-in Tournament. Unfortunately for them, a five-point road loss to the surging Timberwolves and a four-point home defeat to the Pelicans closed the book on things.
For Ty Lue, Paul George, and the Clips, the offseason now arrives earlier than expected. And with that comes some important decisions in NBA free agency that will shape the seasons to come, ahead of the grand opening of the state-of-the-art Intuit Dome in 2024.
Check out Boardroom’s full breakdown of imminent Clippers free agents, as well as a snapshot of the team’s salary cap outlook as things currently stand.
2022 LA Clippers Free Agents
Contract and salary figures via Spotrac unless otherwise noted. Restricted free agent status designates that a player’s current team reserves the right to match any rival team’s contract offer sheet in order to prevent that player’s departure.
1. SG Amir Coffey (restricted)
- Age: 24
- Expiring contract: 1 year, $153,488
- 2021-22 salary: $153,488
- NOTE: Coffey was previously on a two-way deal which was converted to a full-time NBA contract on March 26.
2. SF/PF Robert Covington (unrestricted)
- Age: 31
- Expiring contract: 4 years, $46,879,127
- 2021-22 salary: $12,975,471
3. C Isaiah Hartestein (unrestricted)
- Age: 23
- Expiring contract: 1 year, $1,729,217
- 2021-22 salary: $1,729,217
4. SG/SF Rodney Hood (unrestricted)
- Age: 29
- Expiring contract: 1 year, $2,239,544
- 2021-22 salary: $2,239,544
5. Xavier Moon (restricted — two-way contract)
- Age: 27
- Expiring contract: 1 year, $202,069 (via HoopsHype)
- 2021–22 salary: $202,069
6. Jay Scrubb (restricted — two-way contract)
- Age: 21
- Expiring contract: 1 year, $462,629 (via HoopsHype)
- 2021–22 salary: $462,629
Clippers Contract Options for 2022-23
1. SF Nicolas Batum (player option)
- Current contract: 2 years, $6,498,559
- 2021-22 salary: $3,170,029
- 2022-23 option: $3,328,530
2. C Ivica Zubac (team option)
- Current contract: 3 years, $21,000,000
- 2021-22 salary: $7,518,518
- 2022-23 option: $7,518,518
LA Clippers 2022 Salary Cap Numbers
All dollar figures and cap estimates via Spotrac as of April 18. Reflects a “soft” salary cap of $112.414 million, a luxury tax threshold of $136.606 million, and a $143.002 million luxury tax apron for hard-capped teams.
- Active contracts: $164,493,220
- Dead cap money: $1,669,178
- Total salary cap usage: $166,162,398
- Estimated 2021-22 luxury tax bill: $83,114,696
- Salary on the books for 2022-23: $189,092,491