As we gear up for CNBC x Boardroom’s Game Plan conference this summer, let’s learn more about one of the event’s featured speakers, David Blitzer.
In a first-of-its-kind partnership, CNBC, First in Business Worldwide, and Boardroom, Kevin Durant and Rich Kleiman’s premier media brand covering the business of sports, music, and entertainment, are teaming up to produce CNBC x Boardroom Game Plan, an all-new, high-powered event taking place on July 25 in Los Angeles. Today, we’re highlighting featured speaker David Blitzer, co-managing partner of Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment and the Global Head of Tactical Opportunities at Blackstone. Click here to view the full list of CNBC x Boardroom Game Plan speakers.
For more than a decade, David Blitzer has embodied the intersection of business and sports. He worked his way up the ranks for private equity giant Blackstone to become global head of the firm’s prestigious Tactical Opportunities group and is additionally a member of the company’s management committee. In 2011, a consortium led by himself and Josh Harris bought its first sports team, purchasing the Philadelphia 76ers from Comcast Spectacor for $280 million.
The Sixers are now valued at more than $3 billion.
HBSE now also owns the New Jersey Devils, and Blitzer became the first person to hold equity in five major U.S. sports leagues at once, along with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Guardians, and Real Salt Lake. Blitzer’s Global Football Holdings also owns stakes in soccer clubs in England, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Denmark.
Learn more about David Blitzer’s Game Plan below.
David Blitzer’s Game Plan
- Native of Scotch Plains, New Jersey
- Graduate of the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business
- 2022: Purchased minority stake in Cleveland Guardians with the option to purchase controlling stake in 2028
- 2022: Partnered with Ryan Smith to purchase Major League Soccer‘s Real Salt Lake
- 2017: Formed Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment to consolidate sports holdings
- 2015: Purchased 18% stake in Premier League club Crystal Palace
- 2013: Purchased the New Jersey Devils with Harris
- 2011: Part of group that purchased the Philadelphia 76ers
- 2011-Present: Blackstone’s Global Head of Tactical Opportunities
- 2001-2011: Helped establish Blackstone’s European operations
- First joined Blackstone in 1991
- Serves on the Advisory Board of the Mount Sinai Surgical Department, the Board of Overseers at the Wharton School, and the Board of Trustees at the University of Pennsylvania.
Click here to learn more about Boardroom and CNBC’s Game Plan event and find out how you can sign up today.
Boardroom went behind the scenes at the Netflix Slam between Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz as it begins to broadcast more live events….
The NFL Combine has grown into a huge spectacle and a boost for the local economy, but does it benefit the players? Boardroom breaks it down….