From digital footprint to merch to live event impact and beyond, let’s take a closer look at the economics of the two-time Super Bowl champ and the pop superstar.
Perhaps you have heard about this thing that happened over the weekend in Kansas City. Perhaps you have not heard about it. In any event, it was downright unavoidable: Sporting KC defeated the Houston Dynamo 2-1 despite losing Johnny Russell to a first-half red card.
But at least one other thing happened this weekend in the land of burnt ends and molasses: we were reminded that shipping is not just something DHL does.
@boardroom_ Travis Kelce’s enjoying the spoils of the Taylor Swift effect. #traviskelce #taylorswift #nfl #swifties ♬ original sound – Boardroom
More specifically, the internet hurtled to the edge of Kim K Butt Champagne™ levels of breakage amid seismic rumblings that All-Pro Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce and global pop music superstar Taylor Swift were perhaps quite possibly A THING. This is not mere celebrity gossip, however — it’s a pop culture phenomenon with the potential to generate an impact across several sectors of the sports and entertainment economy to the tune of millions (or even billions) of dollars.
No, it’s not hyperbole. It’s just 2023. Let’s take a closer look at the numbers behind the Travis Kelce-Taylor Swift intrigue.
The Travis Kelce-Taylor Swift Economy
Travis + Chiefs
- Kelce on Twitter: 960K followers
- Kelce on IG: 2.7M
- Kelce Pro Bowls: 8
- Kelce Super Bowl titles: 2
- Kelce t-shirt: $35+ at Fanatics
- Kelce jersey: $130+ at Fanatics
- Chiefs ticket revenue: $9.625M per game (2022)
- Chiefs overall revenue: $540M (2022)
Taylor + Eras Tour
- Swift on Twitter: 94.4M followers
- Swift on IG: 272M
- Swift Billboard No. 1 albums: 12
- Swift Grammy Awards: 12
- Eras t-shirt: $45
- Eras hoodie: $75
- Eras tour revenue: ~$13.6M per show
- Proj. tour economic impact: $5B
Other Key Stats From the Travis Kelce-Taylor Swift Era
- Sept. 24’s Chiefs-Bears game in Kansas City earned 24.3 million TV viewers on Fox, making it the most-watched NFL game of Week 3.
- It was additionally No. 1 among women in the 12-17 and 18-49 demographics, per Nielsen figures.
- The New Balance 550 shoes that Swift wore to Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday quickly began selling out in most sizes, but click here and see if you can still find yours…
- TMZ reported that Kelce jersey sales increased by 400% on Sept. 24 across the Fanatics/NFL Shop network.
- The 2023 Chiefs roster costs $213.77 million against the NFL salary cap.
- The average Eras Tour attendee spends approximately $1,300 before and during the experience.
- Kelce made the NFL 2010s All-Decade Team, while Swift is recognized as the highest-earning female musical artist of the 2010s with an estimated $825 million.
The company that made Travis Kelce's outfit changed the name from "Bedroom Painting" to "1989 Bedroom Painting" when they found out Taylor Swift was at the game.— Joe Pompliano (@JoePompliano) September 25, 2023
No one knew the original name & they got millions of impressions because people thought Travis planned it.
- Forbes estimated Swift’s net worth to be $740 million in June of 2023.
- Kelce’s NFL earnings through the 2023 season total $77.03 million. His active contract is worth $57.25 million over four years.
- Swift has released 11 RIAA-certified Platinum albums to date, with the Diamond (10x Platinum) Fearless leading the way.
- Kelce holds numerous NFL tight end records, including most seasons with 1,000+ receiving yards (7), single-season receiving yards (1,416), seasons with 100+ receptions (3), and games with 100+ yards (35)
Taylor Swift wears the NB 550 at Travis Kelce’s Chiefs game and now it’s trending on New Balance’s website 👀 pic.twitter.com/U60py7eeKT— Nice Kicks (@nicekicks) September 25, 2023
He’s a bit behind the pace, but would anyone be shocked if Kelce torches the record books and registers 1,989 receiving yards this season between the regular season and the playoffs?
Go ahead and place your futures bets now.
Taylor Swift, Bad Bunny, The Weeknd, and Drake topped Spotify’s 2023 Wrapped campaign globally. Here’s more from the digital music service’s year-end campaign. …
To close out the Week 11 schedule, our friends at FanDuel have all the odds and props you need for the Super Bowl rematch — Eagles vs. Chiefs. …