About Boardroom

Boardroom is a media network that covers the business of sports, entertainment. From the ways that athletes, executives, musicians and creators are moving the business world forward to new technologies, emerging leagues, and industry trends, Boardroom brings you all the news and insights you need to know...

At the forefront of industry change, Boardroom is committed to unique perspectives on and access to the news, trending topics and key players you need to know.

All Rights Reserved. 2022.

T-Mobile Acquires Ryan Reynolds’ Mint Mobile

Last Updated: July 1, 2023
The acquisition is the latest business move from the actor, who has also dabbled in sports team ownership with Wrexham FC and potentially the Ottawa Senators.

Some might describe Ryan Reynolds‘ ascendence from actor to businessman as ordinary magic — and perhaps they’d be correct.

On Wednesday, T-Mobile announced that it acquired Mint Mobile, a mobile virtual network operator, where Reynolds is a lead investor. The purchase is reportedly worth $1.35 billion, and while it’s unclear how much Reynolds’ stake is worth — Variety wrote that it could be as much as 25%.

“Mint Mobile is the best deal in wireless and today’s news only enhances our ability to deliver for our customers,” Reynolds said in a statement released by T-Mobile. “We are so happy T-Mobile beat out an aggressive last-minute bid from my mom Tammy Reynolds as we believe the excellence of their 5G network will provide a better strategic fit than my mom’s slightly-above-average mahjong skills,” he joked.

T-Mobile is acquiring Mint with 39% coming in cash and the other 61% in stock — plus an added bonus. As part of the purchase, Reynolds will remain in his creative role on behalf of the company. So, that means marketing for millions around the globe on T-Mobile’s platform and his Instagram platform with 48.1 million followers.

“Over the long-term, we’ll also benefit from applying the marketing formula Mint has become famous for across more parts of T-Mobile,” Reynolds said. “We think customers are really going to win with a more competitive and expansive Mint and Ultra.”

While significant, it isn’t his first big move in the business space. He sold his Aviation Gin to Diageo in a deal worth $600 million in 2020, not to mention his $2.5 million ownership in Wrexham FC with Rob McElhenney. Next? Potential stake in the Ottawa Senators. In February, Reynolds teamed up with Vaughan, Ontario-based real estate developer, The Remington Group, in a bid to buy the Senators and build a new downtown arena.

Read More:

About The Author
Anthony Puccio
Anthony Puccio
Anthony Puccio is a former Staff Writer at Boardroom. Puccio has 10 years of experience in journalism and content creation, previously working for SB Nation, The Associated Press, New York Daily News, SNY, and Front Office Sports. In 2016, he received New York University's CCTOP scholarship and earned a bachelor's degree in Communications from St. John's University. He can be spotted a mile away thanks to his plaid suits and thick New York accent. Don't believe us? Check his Twitter @APooch.