Breaking down the New Orleans Pelicans players headed for free agency this summer
But first-year head coach Willie Green never lost the pulse of his team. And with a midseason trade for CJ McCollum, the Pelicans rallied to be in contention for the play-in games, ultimately winning a pair to earn the 8 seed in the West. Brandon Ingram continued to play at a high level and gritty young rookies Herb Jones and Jose Alvarado made the Pelicans a pesky team to deal with — just ask the top-seeded Phoenix Suns.
Ultimately, however, the Suns emerged from their first-round tangle with New Orleans victorious, leaving the Pelicans looking toward the offseason.
Check out Boardroom’s full breakdown of imminent Pelicans free agents, as well as a snapshot of the team’s salary cap outlook as things currently stand.
2022 New Orleans Pelicans Free Agents
Contract and salary figures via Spotrac unless otherwise noted. Restricted free agent status designates that a player’s current team reserves the right to match any rival team’s contract offer sheet in order to prevent that player’s departure.
1. PF Gary Clark (unrestricted)
- Age: 27
- Expiring Contract: 1 year, $811,213 (via HoopsHype)
- 2021-22 Salary: $811,213
- (NOTE: Clark has a qualifying offer of $1,576,305)
2. PG Jared Harper (restricted)
- Age: 25
- Expiring Contract: 1 year, $85,081 (via HoopsHype)
- 2021-22 Salary: $85,081
3. SG Tony Snell (unrestricted)
- Age: 30
- Expiring Contract: 1 year, $2,389,641
- 2021-22 Salary: $2,389,641
New Orleans Pelicans 2022 Salary Cap Numbers
All dollar figures and cap estimates via Spotrac as of April 18. Reflects a “soft” salary cap of $112.414 million, a luxury tax threshold of $136.606 million, and a $143.002 million luxury tax apron for hard-capped teams.
- Active contracts: $141,185,509
- Dead cap money: $0 (Cap hold: $12,322,706)
- Total salary cap usage: $141,185,509
- Estimated 2021-22 luxury tax bill: $0 ($7,814,491 under luxury tax threshold)
- Salary on the books for 2022-23: $189,092,491